Traveling and working remotely has a lot of advantages, but there are things to consider when you venture out. Will I have infrastructure when I need to work? Will I be comfortable? The Thunderbird Inn in Savannah, Georgia checked all the boxes when we stayed and worked in Savannah recently. If you are looking for something to do in Savannah, Georgia, here is one definite selfie stop. Although we have a list of 10 reasons to love the ‘T-Bird,’ there many more.
- They are budget-conscious, situated in in the heart of Savannah, but offer some of the least expensive accommodations. There are other hotels that have fancier amenities, but honestly, how often do we really use them? The rooms here are recently redone and adds to the retro vibe from a rotary phone to mid-century modern chairs.
- Stable internet was a huge plus for us during our stay, it was fast and east to access. The setup event had a retro twist, stay there and find out what I mean.
- It has a very hip vibe from the 60’s color scheme to the large neon sign to the selfie station and there is also 60’s and 70’s music piped in around the property.
- Pet friendly is an understatement. From the moment we were checked in, dog biscuits were immediately offered, and there were size appropriate snacks. We were also presented with a custom engraved dog tag as a token of our stay. They also provided a list of pet-friendly restaurants.
- Minutes from River Street and dozens of attractions and great restaurants.
- Free Krispy-Crème donuts every morning, the coffee was great and there was a nice selection of teas as well.
- The staff was very attentive, although an iron and ironing board wasn’t present in our room, when I asked for one, it was literally there in 3 minutes. I can’t say I have seen this kind of response in some high-end hotels or cruise ships we have stayed in. Jacki Shearhouse was very patient with our endless questions and seemed to genuinely care and enjoy what she could do for us.
- If you are looking for retro inns or southern roadside attractions, the Thunderbird hits the mark, making top 10 lists in both USA Today and Garden & Gun.
- The Thunderbird was very clean, inside and out. While this is a little lower on this list, cleanliness is one of our biggest sticking points. Bill O’Brien and his staff keep the property spotless. I have to say during our stay I didn’t see one piece of trash anywhere, top marks on cleanliness.
- I can’t remember the last time we had Moonpies and RC Cola. Upon arrival and every time our room was made up, two Moonpies and two RC Colas magically appeared. This is a very nice touch, again attention to details making the difference.
The only downside is parking is a little tight with larger vehicles, but I never had a problem, even on an event weekend (which is why we were in Savannah). I know there is a concern about points in different loyalty programs, but there is a lot to love about this unique motel. It is not large by any standard, but it really adds to cozy, retro look and feel, reminiscent of roadside motels where you would just drive and stop when you were tired.
Being there for over a half-century, their staying power is a testament to how hard they work for their guests. If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Savannah, GA, check them out. I am sure you will be glad you did. You can find more information at www.TheThunderbirdInn.com or Facebook @tbirdinnsav follow them on Twitter @tbirdinn.